Role: RYA Cruising Instructor
Start Date: 2023 Season (February-November)
Role Type: Contract
We are looking for friendly, energetic and enthusiastic individuals to join our fantastic team.
People who can build rapport with ease and always give our clients confidence in the fact that every element of their training course is being delivered by professionals.
As long as you’re confident and outgoing with a passion for people, the role of Cruising Instructor could be for you!
You’ll be based in Dun Laoghaire where the teaching yachts are berthed and where we have our sailing centre. We run two teaching boats, an Elan 36 Beaufort Venture and a First 36.7, Lula Belle.
Knowledge, Qualifications and Experience required:
- Hold a commercially endorsed RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence (with all associated certification in date)
- RYA Cruising Instructor or YMI Endorsement
- First Aid certificate that is valid for the duration of your contract
- VHF license
- Experience of working as part of a small team
- Experience in a leadership role
- Previous customer service experience
- Tangible experience of skippering yachts
- Mature approach and attitude to work
- Ability to solve problems and work under pressure
- Approachable, welcoming, friendly, and enthusiastic
- Able to communicate well with clients and staff of all ages
- Clean and tidy appearance
- First class seamanship and boat husbandry skills
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
- To manage all aspects of delivering the RYA Training in accordance with company procedures.
- Working as part of a team to provide an enjoyable and safe training experience for clients of all abilities following the RYA Syllabus
- To assist with the maintenance and good housekeeping of the training yachts, to ensure efficient operation at all times
- To ensure a high standard of safety for clients and staff is maintained at all times
- To maintain effective communication with the Management Team
- To provide all necessary information and briefings to clients for the optimisation of their training experience
- Be flexible in your job role and willing to assist in all other duties within reason as requested by our management team
These are the primary accountabilities; however, these may vary according to your changing circumstances.
Candidates will teach RYA Start Yachting, RYA Competent Crew, as well as the RYA Day Skipper practical sailing courses.
If you’re an experienced Cruising Instructor, great! If you’re a newly qualified instructor, no problem. We’ll provide all the additional training required to run our RYA training courses.
Our programmes run from February to November, with over 65 separate RYA Competent Crew / Day Skipper courses scheduled each year over two teaching vessels. As you would expect with such a busy schedule, the we’re flexible as to how many or few courses you would be interested in teaching.
Successful applicants would be offered a schedule of programmes late in 2023 season, with the ability to choose a schedule that works for them.
Please submit a CV to email@example.com with “RYA Cruising Instructor” in the subject line. We’ll happily organise a chat, either face to face or via Zoom, prior to submitting a CV if you would like. We’re also keen to receive applications from cruising instructors not based in Ireland.