There’s no powerboat “license” per say, upon successful completion of the course, a certificate is issued to you. The Irish Sailing certificate is called the “National Powerboat Certificate” and the RYA certificate is called the “Level 2 Powerboat Handling”.
Choosing which certificate, you require primarily depends on where you live. Neither is more internationally recognised than the other, while the RYA certificate may be more applicable to say the Mediterranean, there is an EU wide licensing scheme called the ICC (international certificate of competency) which supersedes national certificates, and this is what we recommend you apply for upon course completion. The ICC is what you would need when on holiday abroad.
- If you are a resident in the Republic of Ireland, you will require an Irish Sailing “National Powerboat Certificate” as Irish Sailing, the governing body for sailing, powerboating and windsurfing are the ICC issuing body in Ireland.
- If you are a UK, including Northern Ireland, resident you would require an RYA certificate.
We’ve a detailed article explaining what the ICC is, and how to apply for one upon completion of a powerboat course here.
Once you’ve completed a powerboat course you may be interested in further training.
- VHF SRC Radio Course – important for those heading to sea. It’s a legal requirement to hold a VHF licence when operating a VHF radio in Ireland. We offer the Irish Department of Marine course, the one you’ll need if registering for a “Ships Radio License” if you are planning on installing a VHF radio on your own boat.
- Essential Navigation & Seamanship – Brush up on your navigation and theory with this online course, building upon the introduction you’ll receive to these topics on your powerboat course.
- Practise the skill; Powerboat Charter – We have a number of our RIBs available for three hour and full day charter to keep the skills you’ll learn on the course fresh.
We’re looking forward to welcoming you on a Powerboat Course soon. If there’s anything we can be of assistance with in the meantime, please don’t hesitate to get in touch on 01 2844195 or firstname.lastname@example.org