Coastal Navigation for Small Boats
The Coastal Navigation for Small Boats course is a short theory course that is ideal for powerboaters. The course is certified by Irish Sailing (national governing body for sailing and powerboating in Ireland) and will teach you all the fundamental navigational skills needed to safely operate a powerboat on longer trips away from base.
This course satisfies the navigation and theory pre-requisits for the Irish Sailing Intermediate Powerboat Certificate and Irish Sailing Advanced Powerboat Certificate.
What you’ll be able to do
- Interpret Weather forecasts, source information and plan accordingly
- Chartwork; identify distances, plot positions, determine course to steer and more
- Understand how to utilise electronic aids to navigation; GPS, Electronic Chart Plotter and more
- Calculate tidal heights
- Identify Buoyage at both day and night
- Prepare detailed passage plans, using charts, interpreting the effect of tide and weather
- Understand and comply with IRPCS
The course fees are €185, including all course materials.
Our cancellation policy for this course can be viewed here.
Course Dates 2023
The course runs Tuesday and Thursday. Course run in the evenings 6.30-9.30pm.
- Course 3: Tuesday 7th, Thursday 9th, Tuesday 14th and Thursday 16th March
We did once off rock pooling and kayaking and it was great fun. The kids had great fun and they allowed me to go ith them too. In the end... read more
April 1, 2018
I would recommend anyone looking to improve their skills to attend this course. Excellent facilities, boats and really good instruction. Good craic with the group too. Will definitely do this... read more
December 5, 2022